Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professorships at Bristol University
These professorships are open to nominations from any University Department or School. Their purpose is to bring distinguished researchers from abroad and elsewhere in the UK to Bristol in order to enhance the research activity of the University.
The Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professorship (BMVP) scheme was founded in 1976 from a bequest from the estate of the businessman Benjamin Meaker. The award covers travel, accommodation and subsistence up to £800 per month and take two forms:
- 'Medium-term’ visits of one to three months
- ‘Fast-track’ visits of up to four weeks
Medium-term Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professorships
Medium-term Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professorships (MT-BMVPs) support visits of distinguished researchers to the University for between 1-3 months. The scheme offers funds for travel, subsistence (£800 per month) and accommodation (at 1 University Walk, the IAS accommodation, where possible).
Fast-track Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professorships
For visits of up to a month, applicants are invited to apply to the Fast-Track Meaker Scheme. Applications are assessed three times per year. The remaining deadline for this academic year is:
- Friday 17 November 2017 - for visits from January to April 2018
- Friday 16 March 2018 - for visits from May to August 2018
- Friday 27 July 2018 - for visits from September to December 2018
Criteria for award
- intrinsic academic interest/importance of the proposed enquiry
- standing of the proposed visitor
- quality of the submitted proposal, and its anticipated synergies
- interest of the visit to a range of researchers and postgraduates
- interaction proposed in addition to the specialist research undertaken
- likelihood of significant outcomes - external funding, joint publications, potential long-term benefits
- relevance to University of Bristol priority research themes
- contribution to the University’s international research profile
- balance of disciplinarity and interdisciplinarity across the spread of Meaker awards
Conditions of award
Award holders are given the title IAS Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professor (IAS BMVP) or IAS Colston Research Fellow during their stay and should be referred to as such in all publicity. The Institute would be grateful for its logo to be included in all publicity where possible.
All awards are made on the basis of single continuous visits, with no provision for partners or children, or additional travel whilst based in Bristol.
All insurance and visa requirements are the responsibility of the Visitor and/or UoB Host Department/School, and the latter will also normally be expected to provide space for the BMVP. Please see visa application process for further information.
The award holder will be allocated accommodation at the IAS's Principal's House, a comfortable and serviced accommodation located just 5 minutes walk away from the IAS, located on the third floor of Senatel House on the Central University Precinct. There may, however, be occasions when this is not possible due to non-availability of suites and we will work with the award holder to identify alternative accommodation.
‘Fast-track’ Meakers will not be considered solely for the purposes of conference attendance, though conference attendance and delivery can legitimately form part of a rather larger programme of activities with Bristol staff and students.