Botstiber Fellowships on Austrian-American Relations
The Botstiber Institute for Austrian-American Studies (BIAAS) is accepting applications for the Botstiber Fellowship in Austrian-American Studies. The fellowship will be awarded to a scholar or professional who seeks funds for a project that promotes an understanding of the historic relationship between the United States and Austria (including Habsburg Austria) in the fields of history, politics, economics, law, cultural studies, and public history. A grant of up to $30,000 will be considered for support for salary, travel, or other necessary expenses. Fellowship recipients are encouraged to submit all articles and/or working papers that are produced through the use of the fellowship to the Institute to be considered for publication in the Institute’s Journal of Austrian American Studies.
Fellowship applications must be submitted by March 31, 2018. Applicants will be notified of the results of their applications in July 2018. Fellowships will be distributed before September 1, 2018, with the fellowship award period beginning on September 1, 2018, and ending on August 31, 2019. A final report will be due within ninety days after the completion date of the award period.
Fellowship Application Format
A fellowship proposal shall consist of a one-page summary, a Statement of Plans and all required supporting information.
A Proposal Summary (not to exceed one page)
This should provide the following:
- Title of Project
- Name of the applicant
- Country of citizenship
- Applicant's position and Institution (if applicable)
- Current and Permanent Mailing address
- Current and Permanent Email address
- Project synopsis (not to exceed 100 words)
- A statement about how this project promotes an understanding of the historical relationship between Austria and the United States (not to exceed 100 words)
- Amount of money requested (in U.S. dollars)
- Amount of sabbatical pay, paid leave of absence or other sources of financial support expected during the fellowship period
- Proposed start date and end date of project
- A list of sources that have provided funding for this project and the amount they have given
- A list of all other sources that have been solicited to provide funding for this project and the amount requested
- The result or the final product that the applicant is working toward during the grant period (not to exceed 25 words)
- A statement about where the applicant learned of the Botstiber Fellowship.
Statement of Plans (not to exceed three single-spaced pages):
In no more than three, single-spaced pages, please submit a Statement of Plans for the period for which the fellowship is requested. The applicant should describe the intellectual significance of the proposed project pertaining to Austrian-American studies, including its value to scholars and/or general audiences. The applicant should describe the intended audience and the intended results of the project. The applicant should explain how the results will be disseminated and why such means are appropriate to the subject matter and audience.
- A budget for the fellowship term (in U.S. dollars; not to exceed one page)
- A curriculum vitae for the applicant, showing current and past positions, education, awards, honors, publications and other relevant professional activities and accomplishments (not to exceed 3 pages)
- A bibliography (not to exceed 3 pages)
- A description of all current support and pending grant and/or fellowship applications related to this project. State the title of the grant or fellowship, source, period covered, amount and expected notification date. If no other funding for this project is expected or sought, please state this.
- Reference letters (optional; not to exceed 2 pages per reference letter)
Proposals must be in English. The entire proposal should not exceed 14 pages. Font size should be no smaller than 11 point. Applications may be submitted by mail or email to the address set forth below on or before March 31, 2019. Late proposals will not be considered.