Botstiber Grants on Austrian-American Relations
The Botstiber Institute for Austrian-American Studies (BIAAS) seeks grant proposals for projects aimed at promoting an understanding of the historic relationship between the United States and Austria (including Habsburg Austria) in the fields of history, politics, economics, law, cultural studies, and public history. Grants may include support for related lectures, seminars, workshops, conferences, exhibits, publications, podcasts, and documentaries. Grants for salary replacement and/or tuition will not be considered. Grants will not exceed $25,000 unless a compelling case is made for a larger grant. Grant recipients are encouraged to submit all articles and/or working papers that are produced through the use of the grant to the Institute to be considered for publication in the Institute’s Journal of Austrian American Studies.
Grant applications must be submitted by March 31, 2018. Applicants will be notified of the results of their applications in July 2018. Grants will be distributed before September 1, 2018, with the grant award period beginning on September 1, 2018, and ending on August 31, 2019. A final report will be due within ninety days after the completion date of the award period.
Grant Proposal Format
A grant proposal shall consist of a one-page proposal summary, narrative description, and all required supporting information.
A Proposal Summary (not to exceed one page)
This should provide the following:
- Title of the project
- Name of applicant
- Country of citizenship
- Applicant’s position and institution (if applicable)
- Current and Permanent Mailing address
- Current and Permanent Email address
- Project synopsis (not to exceed 100 words)
- A statement about how the project promotes an understanding of the historical relationship between Austria and the United States (not to exceed 100 words)
- Amount of money requested (in U.S. dollars)
- Proposed start and end date of project
- A list of sources that have provided funding for this project and the amount they have given
- A list of all other sources that have been solicited to provide funding for this project and the amount requested
- The result or the final product that the applicant is working toward during the grant period (not to exceed 25 words)
- A statement about where the applicant learned of the Botstiber grants
Narrative Description (not to exceed three single-spaced pages):
The applicant should submit a narrative, not to exceed three single-spaced pages, which provides a justification for the project, conveying the ideas, objectives, methods, and work plan. A simple statement of need or intent is insufficient. The applicant should describe the intellectual significance of the proposed project pertaining to Austrian-American studies, including its value to scholars and/or general audiences. If a grant request is for a distinct part of a larger project, an overview of the larger project should be included. The applicant should describe the intended audience and the intended results of the project. The applicant should explain how the results will be disseminated and why such means are appropriate to the subject matter and audience.
- A budget for the project (in U.S. dollars; not to exceed one page)
- A curriculum vitae for the applicant, showing current and past positions, education, awards and honors, publications and other relevant professional activities and accomplishments (not to exceed 3 pages)
- A bibliography (not to exceed 3 pages)
- A description of all current support and pending grant and/or fellowship applications related to this project. State the title of the grant or fellowship, source, period covered, amount and expected notification date. If no other funding for this project is expected or sought, please state this.
Proposals must be in English. The entire proposal should not exceed 12 pages. Font size should be no smaller than 11 point. BIAAS expects grant recipients to provide broad access to all grant products, insofar as the conditions of the materials and intellectual property rights allow. Applications may be submitted by mail or email to the address set forth below on or before March 31, 2018. Late proposals will not be considered.