Gerda Henkel Research Grants
The grants for research projects involve, depending on the type of project, the assumption of costs for personnel, travel, materials and/or other costs.
For projects that are conducted by one scholar alone, a research scholarship has to be applied for.
Project staff on research projects may only be financed by PhD or research grants. A fundamental prerequisite for a grant is that project staff conduct their own research, which is published under their name. The simultaneous receipt of salary or retirement pension and a research scholarship is not possible.
The period of support for Foundation stipend holders working on Ph.D. or research projects can be extended by up to 12 months if the holder becomes a parent during the period covered by the stipend and has an entitlement to maternity or parental leave. Individual arrangements must be discussed with the Foundation’s administrative office.
The application deadline for the Foundation committees autumn meeting in 2019 is 12. June, 2019. Applications have to be in the Foundation's office by this day.
The deadline is not valid for smaller funding amounts (max. 15,000 euros). Smaller funding amounts are granted by the Foundation through a simplified procedure with a deliberation time of approximately three to four months. Applications can be sent at any time. Please follow the exact same application procedure for smaller funding amounts as for regular research projects.
From now on, it is only possible to apply electronically for the general research grants. The necessary application documents can be uploaded in the electronic application form.
The following documents must be included in an application for a research project (in German or English):
- description of the research proposal (max. 8 pages)
- plus bibliography if necessary (in addition to the max. 8 pages)
- at least font size 11 and line spacing 1.5
- time schedule, travel itinerary (if needed)
- detailed cost calculation
- The specific funds being applied for must be precisely defined.
- The Foundation can't cover any college or tuition fees.
- The Foundation can't cover overhead costs.
- curriculum vitae and list of publications of the applicant(s)
- if appropriate, curriculum vitae and list of publications of the proposed project participant(s)
- if appropriate, academic certificates of the project participant(s) (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not send Bachelor certificates)
If also a scholarship for the applicant is planned:
- one letter of recommendation. References have to be signed personally by the author and sent to the Gerda Henkel Foundation. A signed version by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax is accepted. It is possible to submit more than one letter of recommendation.
- academic certificates of the applicant (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not send Bachelor certificates)
- please take note of our criteria regarding the applications for a research scholarship
Please do not additionally send the documents by email or postal mail.