IIAS and IIAS/CEM-FMSH Fellowship in Asian Studies
IIAS invites outstanding scholars to apply for a fellowship at IIAS. Applicants may also apply for an extra two months of research at Le Collège d’études mondiales/Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (CEM-FMSH) in Paris, in the framework of the joint IIAS/CEM-FMSH fellowship.
The information provided on this page is intended for researchers who would like to apply for an IIAS Fellowship (with or without an additional research period in Paris). Please do NOT file an application with IIAS if you will be visiting IIAS in the framework of an (exchange) agreement between IIAS and a partner institution. In that case you will be selected and nominated to IIAS by the partner institution.
The position of affiliated fellow is intended for outstanding researchers (also see 'Terms and conditions') from around the world, to work on an important aspect of Asian studies research in the social sciences and humanities. Interdisciplinary interests are encouraged. We also welcome researchers who would like to work on a collaborative grant proposal or develop their PhD thesis into a book publication.
IIAS is an institute that actively promotes innovative research and seeks the interconnection between academic disciplines. In doing so, we are particularly looking for researchers focusing on the three IIAS clusters 'Asian Cities', 'Asian Heritages' and 'Global Asia'. However some positions will be reserved for outstanding projects in any area outside of those listed. Applications that link to more than one field are also welcome.
On the application form, you will be asked to indicate to which cluster your proposed research relates, or to choose the "open category". You are also asked to indicate how your proposed research may contribute to the general vision of IIAS and its emphasis on interconnected studies.
Terms and conditions
- Applicants must have fulfilled all requirements of the PhD. If you are a PhD candidate at the time of application, you may also apply, provided that you graduate within 5 months after the application deadline (see below). A letter from your university will be required to confirm your graduation before this date.
- If you are applying for a grant from IIAS to cover your research period in the Netherlands, the fellowship will be tenable for a maximum period of 10 months.
- Support for research (office facilities, library access, networks, etc.) will be provided.
- Affiliated fellows are expected to participate in IIAS events, including the fellow seminars, monthly lunch lectures, and drinks.
If IIAS decides to sponsor your research by awarding a grant, you will receive:
- A monthly grant of €2000;
- Office facilities and access to the Leiden University Libraries;
- A one-time grant of (max) €1000 towards the costs of (international) travel.
Joint IIAS/CEM-FMSH fellowship for an additional two months of research in Paris
Per year, CEM-FMSH offers three fellowships of two months each, for scholars who have been awarded an IIAS fellowship and who wish to spend an additional two months in Paris to pursue their research.
The CEM-FMSH fellowship covers accommodation and a stipend of EURO 1000 per month.
Applicants who want to apply for the CEM-FMSH fellowship, which should follow immediately upon the conclusion of their stay in Leiden, should indicate so in the IIAS Fellowship Application form with a motivation as to:
- how they could profit from their stay in Paris (e.g. French archives or collections consultation, contacts with specific museum or institutions deeply linked to their research, etc.);
- the Collège chair-holder to work with in Paris;
- how they could contribute to the work of CEM-FMSH.
Application form and deadline
1 March and 1 October of each year
Interested applicants are invited to email/post their applications, consisting of:
- 1. IIAS Fellowship Application Form (Word download)
- 2. Curriculum Vitae
- 3. A minimum of two letters of reference
- Please ensure that a minimum of two letters of reference is sent to us in confidence via email or post, commenting on your academic abilities and the value of your research project by the appropriate deadline
- 4. List of publications
IMPORTANT NOTES WHEN SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION:
- If you are sending us your application via email you will receive a reply acknowledging receipt of your email/application.
- Please send us your application only once. If you have already sent in your application via email, kindly do not send the same application via post (and vice versa).
- Emails larger than 10MB are rejected by our email system. Please keep your email and attachments below 10MB by zipping any large files.