International Research Center for Japanese Studies Visiting Research Scholars
The International Research Center for Japanese Studies is one of the constituent institutions of the National Institutes for the Humanities, which was established as an Inter-University Research Institute Corporation under a law effective April 2004. Founded in May 1987 as an inter-university research institute of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, this Center seeks to promote comprehensive, international, and interdisciplinary research on Japanese culture, and to foster cooperation among researchers in Japanese studies worldwide. In order to broaden and deepen research on Japanese culture and bring together researchers in a variety of specialized fields, the Center regularly appoints a number of scholars from around the world as Visiting Research Scholars.
The Center invites applications from scholars who wish to conduct research while in residence here. Visiting Research Scholars are expected to engage in collaborative activity with the Center's permanent faculty by, for example, participating in at least one of our team research projects ("kyōdō kenkyū").
The Visiting Research Scholar will be free to carry out his/her individual research, but must join in at least one team research project.
You are required to submit a report about trends in Japanese Studies in your country.
You are required to submit one article to either one of the two Nichibunken journals, Nihon Kenkyū (in Japanese) or Japan Review (in English).
Qualifications and Eligibility
Researchers of any nationality not more than 65 years old when the research period begins, who live outside Japan, are eligible to apply. Others whom the Director-General of this Center deems to have equivalent qualifications as a researcher may apply, provided that they meet the age criteria.
Applicants who meet the following criteria are preferred.
- Researchers employed by a university or other research institution.
- Researchers with a doctoral degree.
- Those whom the Director-General deems to have equivalent qualifications as above.
We are now accepting applications from The Visiting Research Scholar candidates for the fiscal year 2019 (April 1, 2019～March 31, 2020), expected to start their stay on a date within this period. The stay must be for a minimum of three (3) months but not exceed the maximum of twelve (12) months. (It is possible for a period of stay to extend into the following fiscal year.) Along with a first preference for a period of stay, please indicate a second preferred period.
- 2019 Apr. 1 ～ 2020 Mar. 31 (for one year)
- 2020 Jan. 1 ～ 2020 Dec. 31 (for one year)
- 2020 Mar. 1 ～ 2021 Jan. 31 (for eleven months)
(1) The Visiting Research Scholar's salary will be determined on the basis of salary regulations and will reflect the Visiting Research Scholar's seniority. It will be paid on the appointed day each month.
- About 500,000 yen per month: (Approximately 10 years of teaching and research experience, with more than a 6-month period of stay at Nichibunken)
- About 600,000 yen per month: (Approximately 20 years of teaching and research experience, with more than a 6-month period of stay at Nichibunken)
- About 700,000 yen per month: (Approximately 30 years of teaching and research experience, with more than a 6-month period of stay at Nichibunken)
※Please bear in mind that the salaries shown above are only examples and that they can be subject to change.
(2) Roundtrip travel expenses will be paid according to a rate stipulated in the regulations.
(3) A research allowance (including a domestic research travel expense allowance) will be disbursed to each Visiting Research Scholar.
(4) The Center's library, computers, and other facilities, including an individual research room, will be made available for the use of the Visiting Research Scholar, in the same way as for a regular full-time employee of the Center.
(5) Visiting Research Scholars have opportunities for presentation of research findings in seminars, public lectures, and the Nichibunken Forum held by the Center.
(6) Housing accommodations will be available on the site of the Center. (There are charges for the use of these facilities.)
All the applicants will be notified of the results by the end of March, 2018 by email or post (to the address of your affiliation).