JSPS Invitational Fellowship to Japan (Long-term)
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) carries out programs that provide overseas researchers who have an excellent record of research achievements with an opportunity to conduct collaborative research, discussions, and opinion exchanges with researchers in Japan. These programs are intended to help advance the overseas researchers' research activities while promoting science and internationalization in Japan.
All fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included under this program.
Invitational Fellowship (Long-term) [L]
To invite overseas researchers with excellent records of research achievements to collaborate with Japanese colleagues in carrying out research through long-term visits.
The applicant (host researcher) must, in principle, be a researcher who is employed full-time at a university or research institution as specified in Article 2* of the Procedure for the Handling of Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi), issued by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
However, there are cases when a researcher not employed in a full time position may be eligible. Such persons must be eligible to apply for a KAKENHI grant–in-aid an d his/her affiliated institution must judge them able to implement the project and to provide an appropriate research environment (e.g., laboratory, equipment, personnel) for it.
*Eligible host institutions specified under the above MEXT Procedure are as follows:
- Universities and inter-university research institutes
- MEXT-affiliated institutions engaged in research
- Colleges of technology
- Institutions designated by the Minister of MEXT
Researchers who hold a full-time position in an overseas research institution and satisfy the following requirements:
- Be a citizen or a permanent resident of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan (JSPS treats Taiwanese and Palestinian researchers in this manner). To be eligible, researchers of Japanese nationality residing overseas must have lived in the other country for at least 10 years and been actively engaged in research in that country throughout the period.
- Overseas researchers in a position equivalent to a university professor, associate professor or assistant professor in Japan as of 1 April 2018.
- Overseas researchers who do not have above-mentioned careers but received their doctorate degree prior to six years or more as of 1 April 2018 and are continuing to do research in a university or non-profit research institution.
Terms of award
- Airfare: A round-trip air ticket (economy-class) (based on JSPS’s regulations)
- Maintenance Allowance: ¥387,600 per month
- Miscellaneous: Overseas travel insurance, a research support allowance is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses. Application is made by the host researcher through his/her institution.
Procedure of application
The applicant (host researcher) and the host institution need to implement the following procedures (1) and (2) respectively when they apply.
(1)Procedure of applicant (host researcher)
- 1) Create APPLICATION FORM FOR JSPS INVITATIONAL FELLOWSHIP FOR RESEARCH IN JAPAN (Long-term) FORM2. (In Word or PDF file) The format can be downloaded from https://www.jsps.go.jp/j-ippan/boshu.html.
- 2) Log in to the electronic application system (for international exchange projects) and complete the application procedure on the system (enter Form 1 on the electronic application screen and upload the above FORM2) by the application deadline specified by each host institution. Submit (send) it to the host institution.
(2) Procedure of the host institution
- 1) Confirm the information given in the application that was submitted (sent) by the applicant (host researcher) on the electronic application system. If there is no problem in the contents, approve (confirm the “application list”) and submit (send) the application form to JSPS before the deadline.
- 2) Obtain the format of the following two lists from the electronic application system and create them.
- c: List of applications (Notice of Acceptance included)
- d: List of applicants
- 3) Stamp with the seal of the head of institution on c and mail it with d to JSPS before the deadline.
Application deadlines for host institutions to JSPS are as follows. Each host institution may have its own application deadline more than one month before the deadline set by JSPS. Applicants should check with the staff of host institution in advance.
- Application periods (from host institution to JSPS): August 28-September 1, 2017 (by 5 p.m. (JST))
- Period that selection results will be published: late of December 2017
- Periods for arrival in Japan: April 1, 2018–March 31, 2019
- Number of fellowship awarded: 60
The screening criteria
- 1. That the collaboration will contribute to advancing science in Japan and the counterpart country.
- 2. That the collaboration can be expected to advance research in the subject field.
- 3. That the applicant (host researcher) and candidate have established contact in advance and created a concrete research plan.
- 4. That the plan can be carried out within the period of the candidate’s fellowship tenure.
- 5. That the plan has as its objective joint research or other collaborative activities between the researcher(s) in Japan and overseas researcher(s).
- 6. That, as much as possible, preference is not given to the candidate’s nationality, host institution, or field of specialization.