KF Fellowship For Postdoctoral Research in Korean Studies┋European Region
The KF Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research is designed to support rising scholars who have recently earned a PhD of a Korea-related topic to undertake full-time research at a university or research organization located in the European region.
Rising scholars with a recent PhD in the humanities, social sciences, arts or culture on a Korea-related topic must fulfill the following criteria:
- Has citizenship or permanent residency status in a country outside Korea
- Has not been awarded a position at a university equivalent or exceeding that of a full-time lecturer or be designated as a senior researcher of a research institution
- Has obtained a PhD degree within the past five years
- A PhD candidate who is scheduled to receive a PhD degree by August 31, 2018
All aspects of academic research including the editing of one’s doctoral dissertation for publication
Research stipend (will be determined based on actual costs)
Application submission period: March 16 - April 16, 2018 (KST 18:00)
* Reference letters should be submitted by April 20, 2018
Notification of acceptance: (late) July 2018
※ Notification date is subject to change without prior notice.
- Online Application
- Supplemental materials (uploaded to online application)
- Curriculum Vitae: including information about educational experience, professional experience, fellowships and grants received in the past and a list of research accomplishments and publications.
- Detailed research proposal (not exceeding 5 pages, it must contain the following elements): Detailed explanation of the planned research project including its goals, area of research and its significance for the field of Korean Studies, description of the selected research methodology and materials, description of the progress made thus far and the extent of progress planned during the fellowship period, reasons why the research project must be conducted at the affiliated institution chosen by the applicant
- A copy of the request(s) made to affiliated institution(s) for a research stay: Before submitting the postdoctoral fellowship application, applicants must send to each institution (research institutes or universities) at which they would like to conduct research a request for a postdoctoral research stay. A copy of each request must be attached in PDF format to the online application package submitted to the Foundation.
※ The applicant may submit no more than three requests.
※ Listed institution(s) may not be changed after submitting the application
- Letter of acceptance from the affiliated institution
※ The applicant should submit a copy of the Letter of Acceptance to the KF upon confirmation.
- PhD dissertation: Dissertation abstract, table of contents, chapter summaries, one sample chapter, publication plan
- One copy of PhD diploma: For those who have attained his/her PhD diploma after the application submission period, he/she should submit a copy of the PhD diploma by August 31, 2018. If the selected fellow is unable to do so by this time, the Foundation will cancel its support.
- Academic transcript of graduate degree
- Three (3) Letters of Reference (including one from your PhD dissertation supervisor)
※ After an applicant files an online application, the KF’s Online Application System will automatically send an email to the recommender provided by him or her. The email will request that the recommender write a letter of reference and upload it onto the KF Online Application System. Therefore, applicants should inform their recommenders of this before beginning the application process.
How to apply
Click on the “Apply” button at the bottom of this program announcement and complete the online application form. The “Apply” button is only activated during the application period from March 16, 2018 to April 16, 2018 (KST 18:00).
The application form and all other required documentation must be submitted in Korean or English.
Important reminders on application process
- Fellowship recipients receiving research stipends under this program must conduct research at a major overseas university in the European region offering a Korean Studies program and having a Korean Studies faculty and library collection (excluding the university from which the fellow obtained his/her PhD degree).
- Preference will be given to students who have citizenship or permanent residency in a European country, and who apply to institutions in different countries from where they obtained their doctorates.
- Fellowship recipients may not conduct research at the university from which he or she obtained his or her PhD degree.
- Fellowship recipients may not hold concurrent fellowships from either the Foundation or any other third-party institution. Please be aware that if you receive any other scholarship from the third-party institution, the Foundation will cease the support and request to reimburse the grant to the Foundation.
- Fellowship recipients must enroll in the applied program in the semester indicated on the application. Admission may not be deferred to the following year.
- Fellowship recipients may receive the KF postdoctoral fellowship only once. Those who have already received the fellowship may not reapply.
Responsibilities of fellowship recipients
Fellowship recipients must devote the fellowship period entirely to their research. They are, however, permitted to teach at the affiliated institution to the extent that teaching activities do not interfere with the progress of their research (limit of 1 course per term).
Participation in academic activities of the affiliated institution
Fellowship recipients are required to participate in academic activities of the host institution during their research stay.
Submission of a final report
Fellowship recipients are required to submit a final report within 7 days of the end of the fellowship period, detailing the progress made during this period, and drafted using the KF’s report form.
Further reporting requirements
Fellowship recipients must report to the Foundation even after the fellowship period expired, any major activities involved in and/or status of scholarly debut in academia.
Fellowship recipients must revise their doctoral dissertation during the fellowship period and publish it as a book or as a research paper within three years of the end of the fellowship period.
※ The Korea Foundation will monitor research progress annually for three years following the conclusion of the fellowship period. Fellows who do not fulfill their responsibilities will not be eligible for future support from the Korea Foundation.