Konosuke Matsushita Memorial Foundation Research Grants: International Understanding and Coexistence of Nature and Mankind
Two major objectives of The Konosuke Matsushita Memorial Foundation are to contribute to the society by promoting international understanding and to realize the society where mankind respect and harmonize with nature under the concept of coexistence of Nature and Mankind. In line with this goal, the foundation provides funds to research activities in the areas of humanities and social sciences which pertain to above mentioned two objectives.
Focus and Scope of Research to be Granted
1. Focus and Scope of Research
Research activities of social, academic and international needs in the areas of humanities and social sciences which promote international understanding and/or coexistence of Nature and Mankind. Those should contribute to the society by developing personnel with international perspective, establishing international relationships, solving various issues existing between Japan and other countries, and coexistence of Nature and Mankind ; especially pioneering research based on creative ideas is welcomed.
- Profit-making research or those which have a high probability of profit making.
- Research which has substantially been completed.
- Research which requires a huge amount of research expenses.
- Research that the periods of which are less than half of the terms of research grant.
2. Eligibility and Conditions for Applicants
- Students in doctoral course and researchers within five years after finishing doctoral course, who have not received grants from the foundation in the past.
- There are no restrictions based on nationality, affiliation, or area of residence.
Outline of the Grants
1. Number of Grant Recipients
Around 50 students/researchers
2. Amount of Grants
- The maximum amount of grant per student/researcher is 500,000 yen.
- The amount of each grant will be assessed by the content of each research project and the rationality of its budget.
3. Term of Grants
Term of grants shall be one year from October 1, 2016 to September 30, 2017.
4. Use of Grants
- Grants are for necessary expenses in carrying out and putting research plans in order, and expenses shall be itemized in accordance with List of Items of Expenditures in a separate page. The Applied amount and the itemized budget should always match with each other.
- Expenses required for printing reports, issuing publications, holding symposiums and attending overseas academic conferences for the purpose of opening the results of the research to the public shall not be included in the grants.
5. Main Duties of the Recipients and Others
- The recipients of the grants shall conclude agreements with the Foundation and report on the process, results and accounts of research upon completion to the Foundation. When the valid reports are not submitted within 6 months after the grants period, total grants will be returned to the Foundation.
- Receipts for over 10,000 Yen must be submitted with reports. Other receipts must be kept and submitted when the Foundation requests.
- Surplus must be returned.
- Please take note in advance that the process and result of the research will be made public through the website etc. of the Foundation.
Method and Criteria of Screening
Careful and fair screening will be conducted by the screening committee of the Foundation in late July, 2016.
2.Notice of the result
The result of the decisions will be informed to the applicants by e-mail by the beginning of August, 2016, but please understand that the Foundation will not respond to inquiries regarding reasons for the decision.
3. Criteria of Screening
In screening, the following items are considered:
In the areas of humanities and social sciences,
- Research which is in line with the objectives and activities of the Foundation,
- Research which is high in social and academic importance,
- Research which is creative and pioneering,
- Research which will be carried out by highly motivated and competent researchers and has excellent research plans and setups, and
- Research with rational and appropriate budgets.