Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships at the AUB Arts and Humanities Center Beirut
The American University of Beirut invites applications for its Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Arts and Humanities, which begins in September 2017. The duration of appointment will be one year. Appointees will be attached to a relevant department and will be expected to remain in residence for the duration of the academic year.
The competition is open to recent recipients of the PhD whose research and teaching interests involve one or more of the following disciplines:
- Arabic (Mamluk or Ottoman Arabic Literature)
- English (translation studies, world literature, and global theater/film)
- Fine Arts and Art History (musicology, music performance, theater and art history)
- Philosophy (Ancient Philosophy, Islamic Philosophy, Feminist Philosophy)
- History and Archaeology (Natural sciences in Archaeology, Prehistory of the Levant, Islamic Archaeology, Egyptology)
Calls for Mellon postdoctoral fellows will focus on specific disciplines and departments that are likely to have permanent openings in the near future. These may occur as senior faculty retire; as new lines are created to reduce teaching loads; and as existing lines are redistributed after academic program reviews. However, while promising fellows will be urged to apply for openings that may arise in their areas of specialty, all positions must be filled through open searches in accordance with University policy.
Applicants must have received their doctoral degrees no later than 30 days and no earlier than five years prior to the appointment start date;
Individuals who have held other postdoctoral fellowships are not barred from applying.
Stipend, benefits, and other advantages and obligations of the Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Arts and Humanities include:
- Annual stipend of $45,000;
- Co-pay health coverage under the University’s Health Insurance Plan;
- Housing subsidy;
- Teaching load of one course per semester;
- Participation in the Arts and Humanities activities are required by the Center.
Completed proposals should be submitted in one e-mail by close of business (5:00 p.m.) on May 5, 2017. Decisions will be announced by May 31, 2017.