Moody Research Grants at Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library
The LBJ Foundation awards a limited number of grants for research at the LBJ Library, which are underwritten by The Moody Foundation of Galveston, Texas. Grants may be used for research for dissertations, theses, senior papers, publications and other projects.
Grants range from $600 to $3,000. Funds are awarded for the sole purpose of helping to defray living, travel and related expenses incurred while conducting research at the LBJ Library during the grant period.
- Fall Term: June 1 – December 31. Application deadline is March 15
- Spring Term: January 1 – August 31. Application deadline is September 15
Grant awards include funding for travel (airfare or mileage) and a $180 per diem for days spent conducting research at the LBJ Library, weekend days for research visits longer than one week, and one travel day. Applications must include an estimated cost of travel (airfare or mileage), the number of days required for research at the LBJ Library, and the total number of days for research and travel. Airfare should be based on the most economical fare available. Applications should not include funds for car rental or secretarial/research assistance. The amount awarded cannot be increased after the recipient receives notification of the grant, and grants are not awarded retroactively for research already completed.
Applications are reviewed by a special faculty committee appointed by the President of The University of Texas at Austin at the request of the LBJ Library. Applicants should state clearly and precisely how the archival holdings of the LBJ Library will contribute to the completion of the proposed project. Competition for Moody Research Grants has been strong in recent years; general and vague proposals or those written in haste will not be competitive. An application form is required.
In accepting a Moody Research Grant, an applicant must agree to the following conditions:
- The product of the research made possible by the grant will not be used for any political purpose.
- The funds are for the sole purpose of helping to defray expenses incurred while conducting research at the LBJ Library.
- The grant must be used during the period for which it is awarded.
- The recipient will provide promptly to the LBJ Foundation a copy of any publication, paper, article or book resulting from research made possible by the grant.