Open Call for COST Actions
COST fund networking activities to the benefit of nationally or otherwse funded research activities.
COST Actions are Science and Technology (S&T) networks open to researchers, engineers and scholars from universities, research centres, companies, in particlar small and medium-sizes enterprises (SMEs), as well as other stakeholders and relevant legal entities. All the relevant information to manage a COST Action is presented in the COST Vademecum. COST Actions are set up to achieve specific objectives within their four-year duration based upon the sharing, creation, dissemination and application of knowledge. These objectives can be reached through COST networking tools:
- Meeting (i.e. Management Committee meetings, Working Group meetings),
- Training Schools,
- Short-Term Scientific Missions (STSMs),
COST Actions are
- Pan-European: the COST inter-governmental framework spans over 36 Full Members and one Cooperating Member:
- Bottom-up: in terms of S&T fields and topics, COST welcomes any novel, original and innovative idea;
- Open: in terms of participation, COST Actions can grow in size within their first three years;
- Unique: as a platform to coordinate national research funding and resources within a lightweight framework;
- Multi-, Inter- and Transdisciplinary: bridging different research communities, disciplines, fields and methodologies;
- Output and Impact-Oriented: COST Action are monitored against their expected output and impact.
COST Actions are "bottom-up" in two ways: their topics are chosen by the proposers and the scientific management decisions are entrusted to the Action Management Committees. They are open throughout their lifetime to new members and are adaptable in terms of internal organisation and strategy. They shall promote actively the participation of the next generation of researchers, engineers, scholars and other relevant stakeholders. Thus, COST Actions are especially well-suited to pursue new ideas through collaborative efforts and/or build communities around emerging Science & Technology (S&T) topics and societal questions.
COST Actions are open to all researchers, engineers and scholars or other stakeholders, who are committed to work and achieve the Action objectives and are affiliated to a legal entity.
The minimum number of countries included in the network has increased to seven COST Full or Cooperating Members . Out of the seven, a minimum of three must be Inclusiveness Target Countries. For more details, please refer to the annex of the updated SESA guidelines.
Results will be communicated in November 2018.