Research Fellowships at Collegium de Lyon
Each academic year, the Collegium de Lyon welcomes approximately twenty high-level researchers from outside Rhône-Alpes, both senior and junior, who are selected by an international scientific board.
A senior researcher would occupy a high-level academic position (for example, professor), while juniors are defined as well-recognised young (less than 40 years old) researchers.
In general, their stay at the Collegium has duration of ten months; however, five-month stays are also acceptable.
The Collegium selection process is designed to allow for high-level applications and most innovative projects to emerge, while ensuring equality between the applicants, transparency of the process and the respect of the provided data.
The candidates can submit original projects or projects on specific research themes. Generally speaking, projects within the scope of one of the three priority themes of the IDEXLYON (Initiative d'excellence) will be reviewed sympathetically. The three IDEX themes are Bio-Health and society, Science and engineering, and Humanities and urbanity.
Application files are accepted all year long. However, only the files received before 30th of September of the ongoing call for applications will be reviewed for a stay starting on the following academic year. The selection process takes place between September and December each year.
a - Receiving the application files
When receiving the files, the Collegium staff checks all documents, informs the candidate (the case being) of missing or corrupted documents, and saves complete applications files. A acknowlegment of receipt is sent to the candidate.
NB : It is strongly recommended, if the file is sent just before 30th of September, to inform the Collegium in advance. The Collegium staff is available to help candidates with their application.
b - Admissibility check
Four criteria are used:
- level of education: candidates must hold a PhD, awarded before 30th of September of the ongoing call for applications, to be admitted for a stay on the following academic year. Candidates who are still waiting for the thesis defense are not accepted. No experience is formally required for applying; however, considering the high number of excellent applications received each year, a candidate with no other research experience than his/her PhD thesis will not have built a scientific profile solid enough to hope for selection. The Collegium aims at gathering confirmed scientists and/or scientists with high potential, which is different than offering postdoctoral funding.
- professional status: only applications from researchers under a work employment contract (tenured or not) in a foreign university or research institution (French institutions abroad excluded), before and after their research stay at the Collegium, are accepted. This aims at building lasting international partnerships between the Université de Lyon labs and the researcher's institution, as well as ensuring that the candidate is covered by health insurance and social security during his/her stay. French candidates are admissible, if they match this criteria.
- scientific partnership with a lab from the Université de Lyon: in order to show that the project is interesting for Lyon/Saint-Etienne, the candidate must have identified one or several potential partnerships in labs and research teams of this academic center, which may lead to scientifc cooperation during the stay. It is strongly advised to ask the Collegium to support this process of making contacts with the researchers of Lyon/Saint-Etienne.
- English knowledge: the candidate must have an English level sufficient for participating in the Collegium activities.
The admissibility is decided by the director of the Collegium. An acknowledgment of admissibility or non-admissibility is sent to the candidate, informing him/her of the reason of the refusal, the case being.
c - Selection by the Scientific advisory Board
The selection is made by the Scientific advisory Board, during a meeting that takes place in November each year. For research specialties that are not represented enough among the members of the Board, external assessments may be gathered beforehand. The Board makes its decisions following a collective discussion, according to these main criteria:
- quality of the profile of the candidate (experience, publications)
- quality of the submitted project (and notably its innovative aspect)
- potential for integration in the Lyon/Saint-Etienne research center and reasons for choosing Lyon
- expected outcomes of the project
The Scientific advisory board also pays attention to gathering a cohort of researchers that is coherent and balanced in terms of covered fields of research, gender, age and geographical origin of the candidates. The original projects and the projects on specific research themes are reviewed according to the same criteria and at the same time. A list of selected candidates, candidates selected on the waiting list (ranked) and non-selected candidates is prepared.
The selection of the Scientific advisory Board is not communicated to the candidates before the Executive Committee has confirmed it.
d - Confirmation by the Executive Committee
The list proposed by the Scientific advisory Board is reviewed by the Executive Committee of the Collegium. The committee checks that the selection is in keeping with the objectives given by the Université de Lyon to the Collegium and decides of the final selection.
Candidates receive the result of the selection: selection, selection on the waiting list, non-selection. The reasons of the non-selection are not formally given. However, non-selected candidates can contact the director of the Collegium for advise on how to improve a possible new application.
Afterwards, selected candidates receive an official invitation letter detailing the conditions offered for a stay at the Collegium.