Residential Scholarships in Venice for the Study of Italian Culture
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers three residential scholarships to researchers wishing to spend a study period in Venice between May 2017 and May 2018. Each scholarship is worth 6,250 euros and is aimed at post-doctorate students who must not be over 40 years old on 10 March 2017, willing to spend three months doing research at the Vittore Branca Center.
The residential scholarships are offered to Italian and international scholars wishing to further their studies of Italian culture – especially that of the Veneto – with an interdisciplinary approach in one of the following fields: art history, literature, music, drama, early printed books, Venetian history and comparative cultures and spiritualities.
Candidates shall propose a research topic specifically focused on the archives and documents kept in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice.
Each scholarship will be divided as follows:
- a gross sum of 3,100 euros as a contribution to general expenses, travel and board, paid in one installment at the end of the three-month residency period by bank or postal order only;
- accommodation free of charge (equivalent to a conventional cost of 3,150 euros) for three consecutive months in the Vittore Branca Center Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice and free use of the Vittore Branca Center facilities.
What the Vittore Branca Center has to offer
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers the opportunity for interdisciplinary exchanges with fellow scholars attending the Center as well as with the academic community at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
Facilities and benefits include:
- The Libraries and Photo Library in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, specialized in art history, Venetian history, literature, music, dance, drama and early printed books. The libraries are equipped with wi-fi connection. Vittore Branca Center scholars can enjoy advice by specialists and the possibility of borrowing books.
- Cultural events (seminars, conferences, exhibitions, concerts, etc. ) organized by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini. Residents thus have the opportunity to explore the broader background to their own work.
- The Residence - situated in the grounds of the Island, the Residence can accommodate around 90 scholars in self-catering mini-apartments with a telephone, connection to Internet and shared laundry services. Kitchen facilities enable residents to economize on food expenses. The Residence is also equipped with reception, surveillance and cleaning services plus a laundromat and food dispensers. To encourage social life and exchanges of ideas, there are a number of shared spaces for use by all guests: living room, music room, fitness area and terrace.
- Tutors to assist scholarship holders in becoming familiar with the Island and its documentary and artistic heritage as well as offering guidance about the cultural offering of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and the city of Venice.
- Other services, such as:
- a work station with an Internet connection in the Nuova Manica Lunga, the Fondazione main documentary center;
- an international newspaper library, available in the Residence living room;
- social initiatives specifically aimed at residents;
- guidance on the Venetian heritage and on how to use libraries and archives in the city of Venice.
Candidates considered to be suitable on the grounds of the application documents presented will be invited for an interview in Italian or English (possibly in video-conferencing) with one or more directors of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and may be asked to provide supplementary information.
The scholarships will be awarded by the Fondazione with no right of appeal. Both positive and negative results of the assessment of the scholarship applications will be communicated by mid-April 2017. The Fondazione will not return any of the documents received. Any candidates willing to have their documents back shall arrange a courier at their own expenses. Anyone who has already been awarded a scholarship to the Vittore Branca Center is not eligible to re-apply, whereas those who have applied but received no scholarship can apply again.
Obligations for scholarship holders
To receive payment and to continue enjoying the benefits of a scholarship at the Vittore Branca Center, scholarship holders are expected to:
- stay in the Vittore Branca Center Residence for three consecutive months in a chosen period from May 2017 and May 2018. Trips for research purposes, attending conferences or work commitments related to the research project at the Vittore Branca Center must be documented in writing in advance and will not be added to the days of absence for personal reasons. Days of absence for personal reasons must not add up to more than 15 days. Absences are counted from Monday to Saturday; Sundays are excluded;
- present their research project to the academic and professional community at the Fondazione and possibly to all scholars and researchers at the Vittore Branca Center during the scholarship period;
- report regularly to their academic tutor on research work in progress and submit a written report of 10 pages on the status of their research project at the end of their research residency;
- mention the scholarship, using the exact wording, in their curriculum vitae and in any publications associated with their research at the Vittore Branca Center of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.