Residential Scholarships in Venice for the Study of Italian Culture
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers 8 residential scholarships to PhDs and post-doc students who must not be over 40 years old on March 10, 2019. Each scholarship is worth 3,100 euros (gross sum) and accommodation free of charge for 3 months at the Vittore Branca Center Residence in the period between April 2019 and April 2020.
The scholarships are offered by Fondazione di Venezia.
The residential scholarships are offered, within the interdisciplinary context that characterizes the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, to Italian and international1 scholars wishing to further their studies of Italian culture – especially that of the Veneto - in one of the following fields: art history, Venetian history, literature, music, drama, early printed books and comparative cultures and
Candidates shall propose a research topic preferably focused on the archives and documents kept in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice.
For a guide to research topics of particular interest to the Fondazione Institutes and Research Centers, please visit the “Centro Branca” section on the web page.
It is possible to plan a preliminary visit to our libraries, in order to examine materials to elaborate a research project; for more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: any international scholars who win a scholarship must have an Italian tax code (codice fiscale), conditio sine qua non
for the scholarship.
Each scholarship will be divided as follows:
- a gross sum of 3,100 euros as a contribution to general expenses, travel and board, paid in deferred monthly equal installments by bank transfer only;
- accommodation free of charge for three consecutive months at the Vittore Branca Center Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice and free use of the Vittore Branca Center facilities.
What the Vittore Branca Center has to offer
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers the opportunity for interdisciplinary exchanges with fellow scholars attending the Center as well as with the academic community at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
Facilities and benefits include:
- Libraries and Photo Library at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, specialized in art history, Venetian history, literature, music, dance, drama and early printed books. Vittore Branca Center scholars can enjoy advice by specialists and the possibility of borrowing books.
- Cultural events (seminars, conferences, exhibitions, concerts) organized by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini. Residents thus have the opportunity to explore the broader background to their own work.
- The Residence - situated in the grounds of the Island, the Residence can accommodate around 90 scholars in self-catering mini-apartments with a telephone, connection to Internet and shared laundry services. Kitchen facilities enable residents to economize on
- food expenses. The Residence is also equipped with reception, surveillance and cleaning services plus food dispensers. To encourage social life and exchanges of ideas, there are a number of shared spaces for use by all guests: living room, music room, fitness area and terrace.
- Tutors to assist scholarship holders in becoming familiar with the Island and its documentary and artistic heritage as well as offering guidance about the cultural offering of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and the city of Venice.
- Other services, such as:
- a work station with an Internet connection in the Nuova Manica Lunga, the Fondazione main documentary center;
- an international newspaper library, available in the Residence living room;
- social initiatives specifically aimed at residents;
- guidance on the Venetian heritage and on how to use libraries and archives in the city of Venice.
Obligations for scholarship holders
To receive payment and to continue enjoying the benefits of a scholarship at the Vittore Branca Center, scholarship holders are expected to:
- stay in the Vittore Branca Center Residence for three consecutive months in a chosen period from April 2019 to April 2020. Trips for research purposes, attending conferences or work commitments related to the research project at the Vittore Branca Center must be documented in writing in advance and will not be added to the days of absence for personal reasons. Days of absence for personal reasons must not add up to more than 15 days. Absences are counted from Monday to Saturday, Sundays are excluded;
- present their research project to the academic and professional community at the Fondazione and attend all presentations of other scholarship holders’ research projects during their residency;
- report regularly to their academic tutor on research work in progress and submit a written report of 10 pages on the status of their research project at the end of their research residency;
- mention the scholarship, using the exact wording, in their curriculum vitae and in any publications associated with their research at the Vittore Branca Center of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
How to apply and Selection
Candidates shall send their scholarship application, complete with the required documents (see below), by registered post or courier to:
Fondazione Giorgio Cini onlus
Vittore Branca Center Secretariat
Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, 1
Applications must be sent by March 10, 2019 with the following enclosed documents:
- paper application form (link) – printed document;
- degree certificate(s) with marks for individual exams, or an equivalent or superior qualification – printed document;
- a copy of a degree dissertation (for PhD students) or doctorate thesis (for postdoctorate researchers) and copies of any other relevant academic works – digital document, saved on CD ROM, DVD or USB pen;
- curriculum vitae, including knowledge of languages – printed document;
- research topic and a description (around 1,500 words) of the study program that the candidate will follow, specifying aims, time scale, and materials and documents to be consulted at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini – printed document;
- 2 reference letters from professors and scholars who supervise or have supervised the candidate (NB the letters shall be originals printed on headed notepaper of the relevant university or institution).
In case of need, reference letters could also be shipped separately to the Vittore Branca Center Secretariat – please write the candidate’s name on the back of the envelope.
Candidates considered to be suitable on the grounds of the documents presented will be invited for an interview in Italian or English (possibly in video-conferencing) with one or more directors of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and may be asked to provide supplementary information.
The scholarship will be awarded by the Fondazione with no right of appeal.
Both positive and negative results of the assessment of the scholarship applications will be communicated by the end of April 2019.
The Fondazione will not return any of the documents received.
Any candidates willing to have their documents back shall arrange a courier at their own expenses.
Anyone who has already been awarded a scholarship to the Vittore Branca Center is not eligible to re-apply, whereas those who have applied but received no scholarship can apply again.