Residential Scholarships in Venice for the Study of Italian Culture
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers 9 residential scholarships to PhDs and post-doc students who must not be over 40 years old on 10 March 2018.
Each scholarship is worth 3,100 euros (gross sum) and accommodation free of charge for 3 months at the Vittore Branca Center Residence in the period May 2018 – May 2019.
The scholarships are offered with the support of Fondazione di Venezia.
The residential scholarships are offered to Italian and international* scholars wishing to further their studies of Italian culture – especially that of the Veneto – with an interdisciplinary approach in one of the following fields: art history, literature, music, drama, early printed books, Venetian history and comparative cultures and spiritualities.
Candidates shall propose a research topic specifically focused on the archives and documents kept in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice.
For a guide to research topics of particular interest to the Fondazione Institutes and Research Centers, please visit the “Research topics” section on the web page.
It is possible to plan a preliminary visit to our libraries, in order to examine materials to elaborate a research project: for more information, please write to email@example.com.
*Please note: Any international scholars who win a scholarship must have an Italian tax code (codice fiscale), conditio sine qua non for the scholarship.
Each scholarship will be divided as follows:
- a gross sum of 3,100 euros as a contribution to general expenses, travel and board, paid in monthly equal installments by bank transfer only;
- accommodation free of charge for three consecutive months in the Vittore Branca Center Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice and free use of the Vittore Branca Center facilities.
What the Vittore Branca Center has to offer
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers the opportunity for interdisciplinary exchanges with fellow scholars attending the Center as well as with the academic community at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
Facilities and benefits include:
- The Libraries and Photo Library at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, specialized in art history, Venetian history, literature, music, dance, drama and early printed books. The libraries are equipped with wi-fi connection. Vittore Branca Center scholars can enjoy advice by specialists and the possibility of borrowing books.
- Cultural events (seminars, conferences, exhibitions, concerts, etc.) organized by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini. Residents thus have the opportunity to explore the broader background to their own work.
- The Residence, situated in the grounds of the Island, an accommodate around 90 scholars in self-catering mini-apartments with a telephone, connection to Internet and shared laundry services. Kitchen facilities enable residents to economize on food expenses. The Residence is also equipped with reception, surveillance and cleaning services plus a laundromat and food dispensers. To encourage social life and exchanges of ideas, there are a number of shared spaces for use by all guests: living room, music room, fitness area and terrace.
- Tutors to assist scholarship holders in becoming familiar with the Island and its documentary and artistic heritage as well as offering guidance about the cultural offering of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and the city of Venice.
- Other services, such as:
- a work station with an Internet connection in the Nuova Manica Lunga, the Fondazione main documentary center;
- an international newspaper library, available in the Residence living room;
- social initiatives specifically aimed at residents;
- guidance on the Venetian heritage and on how to use libraries and archives in the city of Venice.
Obligations for scholarship holders
To receive payment and to continue enjoying the benefits of a scholarship at the Vittore Branca Center, scholarship holders are expected to:
- stay in the Vittore Branca Center Residence for three consecutive months in a chosen period from May 2018 and May 2019. Trips for research purposes, attending conferences or work commitments related to the research project at the Vittore Branca Center must be documented in writing in advance and will not be added to the days of absence for personal reasons. Days of absence for personal reasons must not add up to more than 15 days. Absences are counted from Monday to Saturday; Sundays are excluded;
- present their research project to the academic and professional community at the Fondazione and possibly to all scholars and researchers at the Vittore Branca Center during the scholarship period and attend all presentations of other scholarship holders’ research projects during their residency;
- report regularly to their academic tutor on research work in progress and submit a written report of 10 pages on the status of their research project at the end of their research residency;
- mention the scholarship, using the exact wording, in their curriculum vitae and in any publications associated with their research at the Vittore Branca Center of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
How to apply and selection
Candidates shall send their scholarship application, complete with the required documents (see below), by registered post or courier to:
Fondazione Giorgio Cini onlus
Secretariat - Vittore Branca Center for the Study of Italian Culture
Island of San Giorgio Maggiore
Applications must be sent by March 10, 2018 with the following enclosed documents:
- paper application form (download on the website);
- degree certificate(s) with marks for individual exams, or an equivalent or superior qualification – printed document;
- a copy of a degree dissertation (for PhD students) or doctorate thesis (for post-doctorate researchers) and copies of any other relevant academic works – saved on CD ROM, DVD or USB pen;
- curriculum vitae, including knowledge of languages, and authorization to handle private data according to Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003 – printed document;
- research topic and a description (around 1,500 words) of the study program that the candidate will follow, specifying aims, time scale, and materials and documents to be consulted at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini – printed document;
- 3 reference letters from professors and scholars who supervise or have supervised the candidate (NB the letters shall be originals printed on headed notepaper of the relevant university or institution).
In case of need, reference letters could also be shipped separately to the Vittore Branca Center Secretariat – please write the candidate’s name on the back of the envelope.
Candidates considered to be suitable on the grounds of the documents presented will be invited for an interview in Italian or English (possibly in video-conferencing) with one or more directors of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and may be asked to provide supplementary information.
The scholarships will be awarded by the Fondazione with no right of appeal. Both positive and negative results of the assessment of the scholarship applications will be communicated by mid-April 2018.
The Fondazione will not return any of the documents received. Any candidates willing to have their documents back shall arrange a courier at their own expenses.
Anyone who has already been awarded a scholarship to the Vittore Branca Center is not eligible to re-apply, whereas those who have applied but received no scholarship can apply again.