Riley Postdoctoral Fellowship in Canadian History
The H. Sanford Riley Fellowship in Canadian History promotes public engagement with the study of Canada’s history at the University of Winnipeg and in the wider community. The Fellowship is made possible by a generous endowment from H. Sanford (Sandy) Riley of Winnipeg, an enthusiastic student of Canada’s history. He is a former Chancellor of the University of Winnipeg and a vigorous supporter of Canada's National History Society. The Fellowship is an integral component of the H. Sanford Riley Centre for Canadian History.
Riley Postdoctoral Fellowships provide stipendiary support to recent PhD graduates who are engaged in one or more of the following:
- undertaking original research;
- publishing research findings;
Value and Duration
Riley Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $40,500 per year plus a research stipend equivalent to a University of Winnipeg TPDA ($1469 in 2016-17). These are taxable, non-renewable fellowships, tenable for a maximum of 12 months. The award may begin on 1 July or 1 August 2017.
Riley Postdoctoral Fellows are expected to reside in Winnipeg for the duration of the award, present a public lecture and deliver a research seminar. Appointments and privileges of Riley Postdoctoral Fellows are governed by the University of Winnipeg Research Manual (pp. 28-29).
Riley Postdoctoral Fellows are also eligible to apply to teach one 3 credit hour course at the University of Winnipeg.
The research proposed in a RF Postdoctoral Fellowship application must be significantly different and distinct from, or add significantly to, that related to the applicant’s doctoral thesis.
Eligibility to apply
To apply to this funding opportunity, the applicant must:
- have defended their dissertation at the time of application
- have graduated from a PhD program no more than five years prior to the time of application;
- not hold a tenure or tenure-track faculty position.
Eligibility to hold a fellowship
To hold the award, applicants must:
- engage in full-time postdoctoral research for the period of the award; and
- must not hold a SSHRC or CIHR postdoctoral fellowship concurrent with the Riley Fellowship.