START Programme in Austria
The START-programme is one of the most generously supported research programmes for individual researchers working in Austria. As such, it attracts considerable media attention and thus contributes significantly to the understanding and acceptance of scientific research by society.
Outstanding young researchers of any discipline with two or more years research experience as Postdoc
Researchers should be given the long-term and extensive financial security to plan their research and to build up or consolidate their own research groups thereby qualifying themselves for senior scientific positions (especially as university professors within Austria or abroad).
- the doctoral degree must have been completed (award of certificate) no less than two years and no longer than eight years before the deadline for submission of applications. Extensions to this period may be allowed in case of eligible career breaks (see guidelines).
- excellent research proposal and exceptional international track record
- scientific independence must be proven, applicants must have already acquired competitive third-party funds independently since earning their doctorate
- in addition it is desirable that candidates have completed a research stay abroad of at least one year
6 years, an interim review after 3 years decides on continuation
Minimum 800.000 € up to maximum 1.2 Mio. €
- Start: July 2017
- End: 20th September 2017 (date of postmark)
- in English
- decisions are taken by the FWF Board based on recommendations of the International START-/Wittgenstein-Jury; recommendations are based on an international review process and a hearing
- 8.-9. June 2018
- awarded by the Federal Minister for Science
about 5-6 grants