Center for Advanced Studies of Southeastern Europe (CAS SEE)
University of Rijeka
CAS – SEE is an organizational unit of the University of Rijeka which specializes in scientific research in the social sciences and humanities. The center is designed as a center of high-level scientific activities that will encourage public discussions of great social importance for the region and Europe.
The vision of the Center is to promote freedom of research and to ensure the necessary prerequisites for innovative, intellectual and scientific development, as well as to strengthen the transnational and regional scientific cooperation on social issues such as human rights, justice, democracy and public policy, as well as other important issues of human coexistence.
We have received strong support from the European Network of Centres for Advanced Studies, and are the first regional scientific institution that started the realization of full membership in this network. CAS – SEE has received the support of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports, and the collaboration has been confirmed by a number of scientific institutions in the region (Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Turkey).
The impetus for establishing the CAS came after the successful organization of several international conferences and workshops in Belgrade, Zagreb, Prishtine and Sarajevo between 2010and 2012, as well as via numerous exchanges with regional and international partner institutions and scholars. The Balkan Trust for Democracy, German Marshall Fund, Erste Stiftung, Goethe Institut, Institut Français de Belgrade, Open Society Fund, Rothschild Foundation and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Serbia were amongst the donors, who supported such events. Their assistance was key for exploring the idea, and for enabling informed discussions with scholars, policy makers and potential donors.
At the organizational level, very productive relationships developed with the University in Rijeka, Croatian authorities (including strong support from the Croatian President Ivo Josipovic) as well as with several regional centers in SEE. These created amenable preconditions to start elaborating the structures and the conceptual framework for fulfilling the CAS’ vision. Meetings throughout the start-up year 2012 (in Zagreb, Prishtine, Prizren, Belgrade, Berlin, Brussels, Vienna, Paris, Washington DC and Istanbul) were dedicated to further exploring and finalizing the registration procedure of CAS, as well as its structures and longterm objectives.
By broadening the regional network, identifying interested regional partner institutions and individuals the CAS aimed at reaching a “critical mass” for an operational status at the beginning of autumn of 2013. The University in Rijeka will host the main coordinative body of the CAS, while localized representatives will support the CAS from partner institutions around the region.
We wish to thank Erste Foundation, particularly Erhard Busek, Filip Radunovic and Knut Neumayer, for the constructive advice and kind support of the “start-up”-phase of CAS. Furthermore, we are grateful to Lutz Musner and Olivier Bouin, director of RFIEA (Network of French Institutes for Advanced Study) and head of EURIAS-FP (European Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Program), for their advice and constructive suggestions.
- Scientific research in the social sciences and humanities.
- Starting the application and implementation of research projects for the young and senior researchers.
- Establishing new and strengthen existing regional and international networks and collaboration.
- Promoting professional cooperation and exchange between the internationally recognized research centers in the region andregional scientific community with international institutions.
- Organization and participation in the programs, events and manifestations that are conducted in order to develop, improve and promote research in the social sciences and humanities.
- Gathering of young scientists in the field of South-Eastern Europe with the aim of improving the quality of research in the social sciences and humanities in the region and recognition of scientific products from the international academic community andrelevant international scientific journals.
- Calling for application for postdoctoral students in the place of younger researchers (Junior Fellows) in CAS-SEE
- Introducing famous scientists in the place of senior researchers (Senior Fellows) in CAS-SEE
- Collaboration with scientists within interdisciplinary research and linking science, culture, art and architecture with the social sciences and humanities.
- Coordination and implementation of appearances and stay of local and foreign scientists, students and staff in interdisciplinary fields and the field of social sciences and humanities.