Saint-Louis University, Brussels
Saint-Louis University, Brussels, (French Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles, abbreviated USLB) is a public university in Brussels, belonging to the French Community of Belgium. Prior to 2012 it was known as the Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis (abbreviated FUSL).
The school was originally founded in 1858 as the Philosophy Department of the Institut Saint-Louis (a diocesan secondary school), to prepare candidates for the higher liberal arts certification that would qualify them to enroll for a university law degree. In 1929 it became a distinct university-level institution.
Saint-Louis University and two other Belgian French-speaking historically Catholic universities make up the Académie universitaire Louvain network.
Its main campus is located on the northern edge of the historic inner city, opposite the Botanical Garden of Brussels across the small ring road. In 2015 the Bachelor of Translation programme of the Institut libre Marie Haps was transferred to the newly established Marie Haps Faculty of Translation and Interpreting at Saint-Louis University, Brussels. This programme is taught in buildings on the Rue d'Arlon, near the European Parliament.
Faculties and institutes
- Faculty of Philosophy, Languages & Literatures, and Human Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Economics, Social and Political Sciences, and Communication
- Marie Haps Faculty of Translation and Interpreting
- Institute for European Studies