Vetenskapsrådet - Swedish Research Council
The Swedish Research Council is an authority within the Ministry of Education and Research. The Swedish Research Council has a leading role in developing Swedish research of the highest scientific quality, thereby contributing to the development of society.
Besides research funding, the agency advises the government on research-related issues and participates actively in the discussions to create understanding of the long-term benefits of research.
The Council's remit includes:
- allocating funds for research
- identifying research areas for strategic investment in consultation with other research funding agencies
- working on analysis, assessment and strategic matters in connection with research and research funding from a national and international perspective
- promoting communication between researchers and different academic areas, and between researchers and society otherwise
- promoting multi- and interdisciplinary research
- making research results accessible and making sure they reach the areas of society where they can be useful, for example within education, healthcare and within trade and industry
- advising the government on research-political matters
- striving for increased national and international collaboration and benefit within the research community
- promoting gender perspectives in research
- having overarching responsibility for matters relating to ethical requirements in research
- working for equality between men and women in the research community
- increasing understanding of the importance of basic research to society