Australian Laureate Fellowships
The Australian Laureate Fellowships Grant Opportunity reflects the Australian Government's commitment to excellence in research by supporting world-class researchers to conduct research in Australia.
The opportunity encourages Applications from the highest-quality researchers by providing eligible Australian Laureate Fellows with project funding in addition to a salary supplement and salary-related (on-cost) support.
In addition, two successful female recipients of the Australian Laureate Fellowship may be named as the Kathleen Fitzpatrick Australian Laureate Fellow and the Georgina Sweet Australian Laureate Fellow. Recipients will be provided with additional funding to undertake an ambassadorial role to promote women in research.
Australian Fellowships Grant Opportunity supports
- excellent internationally-competitive research by individuals and teams;
- research, training and career opportunities for the best Australian and international researchers;
- international collaboration; and
- research in priority areas.
The Australian Laureate Fellowships Grant Opportunity contributes to the growth of Australia's research and innovation capacity by generating new knowledge and results in the development of new technologies, products and ideas, the creation of jobs, economic growth and an enhanced quality of life in Australia.
The objectives of the Australian Laureate Fellowships Grant Opportunity are to:
- attract and retain outstanding researchers and research leaders of international reputation;
- support ground-breaking, internationally-competitive research;
- provide an excellent research training environment and exemplary mentorship to nurture early-career researchers;
- forge strong links among researchers, the international research community and/or industry;
- expand Australian's knowledge base and research capability; and
- enhance the scale and focus of research in the Australian Government's Science and Research Priorities
An application may only be submitted through the Research Office of an Eligible Organisation listed in the relevant grant guidelines.
All candidates named in an application must satisfy the eligibility criteria for the role they are to perform as listed in the relevant grant guidelines.
The application must nominate only one Australian Laureate Fellowship candidate and request funding for two Postdoctoral Research Associates and two Postgraduate Researchers.
A previous recipient of an Australian Laureate Fellowship is not eligible to apply.
An Australian Laureate Fellowship candidate must, as at the grant opportunity closing date for applications:
- only apply for one Australian Laureate Fellowship each year; and
- have met the obligations regarding previously funded projects, including submission to the ARC of satisfactory final reports.
The limits of projects and applications will be calculated at the closing time of submission of applications, and may be re-calculated as other grant opportunity announcements are made.
An Australian Laureate Fellowship candidate can be concurrently funded through the Discovery Program for a maximum of: one ARC Fellowship and one project as a CI; or one ARC Fellowship or project if the individual is also a CI or Director on an active ARC Centre of Excellence or a Special Research Initiative project.
Notwithstanding the above, applications for Australian Laureate Fellowships will not count towards the above limits.
Named participants on successful applications for Australian Laureate Fellowships projects must meet the project limit requirements. This may be achieved by relinquishing existing project(s), or relinquishing role(s) on existing projects, or withdrawing application(s), where allowed, that would exceed the project limits. You must nominate and adequately justify the proposed relinquishment(s) if these applications were successful. The ARC will determine the outcome of the nominated relinquishment(s).
Grant Activity Timeframe
A project must be applied for and awarded funding for five consecutive years on a full-time basis.