AXA Research Fund Post-Doctoral Fellowships
In 2017 the AXA Research Fund will be proposing up to 25 Post-Doctoral Fellowships to outstanding researchers. You can be awarded a grant for up to €130,000 for an 18 to 24 month period. All research institutions willing to host Post-Doctoral Fellowship candidates that are registered in the AXA Research Fund database will be receiving our two bottom-up calls for applications.
It is up to the Institution to identify the best possible candidates to participate in these Post-Doctoral Fellowships campaigns. Candidates will subsequently be expected to submit their application outlining the research project the are to carry out in the host institution nominating them.
- The AXA Research Fund partners with academic institutions only.
- Host institutions must be registered in the AXA Research Fund’s database.
- Eligible Institutions are subdivided into the AXA Research Fund Advisory Board’s defined geographical scopes (see website).
- Only applicants without a permanent academic position are eligible.
- The applicant must have been awarded his/her first PhD (or equivalent doctoral degree) before the beginning of the Post-Doctoral grant and within the 3 years preceding the deadline for the submission of their research proposal.
- The eligibility period may be extended for up to 6 years in the event of documented career breaks (see below the Application Guidelines for details of eligible career breaks).
The research project must fall within the scope of theAXA Research Fund’s overall mission, that is, to fund basic science dedicated to developing a better understanding of global risks. Only research projects with justified relevance to the following AXA Research Fund list of topics will be considered for funding:
- Climate change
- Natural hazards & disaster risk reduction
- Urbanization & Resilience, Transport and Road Safety
- Sustainable Food and Water Management
- Ageing, dependency and long-term care
- Chronic diseases
- Well-being and prevention
- Public Health & healthcare systems
- Insurance and its influence on the Macroeconomic environment
- Geopolitics and the dynamics of international relations
- Sustainability of public & private welfare systems
- Future of financial markets (low interest rate environment, climate economics...)
“The Fourth Industrial Revolution”
- The technological revolution’s Social & economic impact (Medical digitization, Health innovation, Energy transition, Finance, Internet of Things, Social Networks...)
- Tools and novel approaches to scientific modelling (Bioinformatics, Data Science...)
- Data privacy & Cybersecurity, ethics, values & regulation
- Artificial intelligence & learning
- Human behaviors and cyber-physical interactions
How to apply
To apply, academic institutions must be preregistered on our platform at least 5 days prior to the opening of a campaign. Institutions are urged to appoint a single Operational Contact to handle relations with the AXA Research Fund.
First, the host institutions operational contact nominates the number of fellows they wish to present by entering their names & email addresses online. The AXA Research Fund reviews their researchers’ profiles, and, depending on the available funding, allocates slots to the candidates the institution will be allowed to present.
Candidates are then invited by the European Science Foundation (ESF) to submit their research proposals and are provided with the necessary information to access the application form.