Gerda Henkel Research Scholarships
Applications for research scholarships can be made directly by Postdocs or scholars with Post Doctoral Lecture Qualification. A research scholarship is usually applied for by one scholar who will work on a specific project on his own. An institutional affiliation is not necessary. The simultaneous receipt of salary or retirement pension and a research scholarship is not possible.
The funding period is generally between one and 24 months.
It is possible to apply for:
- basic scholarship sum
- supplement for travel abroad (monthly endowment for stays of for weeks or more)
- family grant award (for children who have not yet turned 18; in case of a positive decision the presentation of the child’s birth certificate is necessary)
and if required
- travel expenses
- material expenses
The application deadline for the Foundation committees autumn meeting in 2019 is 12 June, 2019. Applications have to be in the Foundation's office by this day.
The deadline is not valid for smaller funding amounts (max. 15,000 euros). Smaller funding amounts are granted by the Foundation through a simplified procedure with a deliberation time of approximately three to four months. Applications can be sent at any time. Please follow the exact same application procedure for smaller funding amounts as for regular research projects.
From now on, it is only possible to apply electronically for the general research grants. The necessary application documents can be uploaded in the electronic application form.
The following documents must be included in an application for a research scholarship (in German or English):
- description of the research proposal (max. 8 pages)
- plus bibliography if necessary (in addition to the max. 8 pages)
- at least font size 11 and line spacing 1.5
- time schedule and working plan with information about the necessary travel to archives, libraries and museums or other destinations
- description of the journeys to archives, museums or other destinations which are closely related to the subject of the project and detailed calculation of the costs (travel and lodging). No flat-rate daily allowance or flat-rates for hotel expenses shall be paid. The Foundation can’t cover any college or tuition fees.
- calculation of material costs (e.g. for photocopies or film versions of archive material, photographs, etc., not a lump sum for books)
- tabular curriculum vitae with list of publications
- copies of academic certificates (Masters, PhD, professorship, etc.; please do not send Bachelor certificates)
- one letter of recommendation. References have to be signed personally by the author and sent to the Gerda Henkel Foundation. A signed version by email (email@example.com) or fax is accepted. It is possible to submit more than one letter of recommendation.
Please do not additionally send the documents by email or postal mail.