INTER Mobility program for Senior Research Cooperation with Luxemburg
The aim of the INTER mobility programme is to promote the exchange between research groups of the Luxembourg public research institutions and leading research groups abroad, in order to foster innovative, internationally competitive research – and support the exchange of key knowledge and technological know-how.
INTER mobility allows for exchanges in both directions: researchers working in Luxembourg to go abroad or researchers from abroad to come to Luxembourg. The programme may also contribute to bridging the gap between the research communities in the public and private sector – exchanges with private companies are highly welcome.
INTER Mobility supports:
- Senior researchers based at public research institutions in Luxembourg visiting research institutions abroad who are leaders in their field.
- Established senior researchers from any country visiting public research institutions in Luxembourg.
Please note this programme does not support research stays of early stage researchers (e.g. PhD candidates).
Are eligible for INTER Mobility funding:
- Public institutions performing research in Luxembourg
- Non-profit associations and foundations performing research in Luxembourg that have obtained a special authorization from the Ministry for HigherEducation and Research.
The exchange must take place between an eligible Luxembourg public institution and a foreign public or private institution.
- If duly justified, the Luxembourg-based researcher may also visit several organisations abroad.
- If duly justified, the proposal may also cover the expenses for two researchers (e.g. one from the Luxembourg based group to the group abroad and one from the group abroad to the Luxembourg group).
The researcher must
- be employed as a researcher by his/her home institution before, during, and after the visit;
- not have benefitted of support by this funding instrument within the last three years.
The seconded fellow and the host institution will have to establish a contractual agreement guaranteeing that all necessary arrangements have been met in order to accomplish the research stay successfully.
There are no thematic or geographical limitations.
The research stay has to be carried out in a different country from where the fellow has been principally (> 12 months) working in the 24 months preceding the call deadline.
The minimal duration of an FNR-funded research stay is 6 weeks. The total cumulated duration of the research stay is limited to 1 year.
If justified, the research stay may be split in several intervals of at least 6 weeks each. The time between the start of the first stay and the end of the last stay is limited to 3 years.
FNR funding may start at any moment in time as requested in the proposal. FNR funding may also be granted retroactively up to the date of submission to the FNR.
FNR funding may cover full costs for the Luxembourg public research organisation (according to internal rules of this organisation), e.g.
- Salary costs of the researcher: For a Luxembourg researcher going abroad, the FNR will cover the full salary of the researcher for the whole duration of the research stay. In the case of a foreign researcher coming to Luxembourg, the FNR funding should guarantee that the researcher will benefit from a funding which is comparable to a standard salary of a researcher (with the same track record) of the Luxembourg host institution. If the researcher still benefits from a salary of his/her home institution, the FNR funding will be reduced accordingly.
- Travel costs between home country and host institution for researcher and family. In this context, ‘family’ is defined as persons linked to the researcher by (i) marriage, or(ii) a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the national legislation of the country of the host organisation or of the nationality of the fellow; or(iii) dependent children who are currently being maintained by the fellow.
- Mobility allowance for researcher and accompanying partner and family, if applicable. In addition to his/her salary, a mobility allowance will be paid to theresearcher, taking due account of his/her family situation. This allowance is a flat-rate contribution to cover the personal household, relocation and travel expenses.
- Overhead costs (for Luxembourg host institution only)
- Other costs (upon justification), e.g. VISA, additional health insurance, child care.
The FNR funding decision is based on the following selection criteria:
- Potential to foster innovative, internationally competitive research and exchange of keyknowledge and technological know-how / Added value to the research programme of theLuxembourg research group
- International reputation in the relevant domain of competence and research track record of theresearcher
- International reputation and research track record of the host research group
- International reputation and research track record of the home research group
- Expected outcomes
The evaluation process intends to select proposals where the selection criteria are rated as excellent in relation to international standards.