Lee Kong Chian Research Fellowship on Singapore and Southeast Asian Culture, Economy and Heritage
The Lee Kong Chian (LKC) Research Fellowship aims to facilitate new research and publishing about Singapore and Southeast Asian culture, economy and heritage. This will enrich the Southeast Asia-centric collections and resources of the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library at the National Library of Singapore (NLS) and the National Archives of Singapore (NAS).
We welcome talented scholars and researchers to use our resources and services, and to collaborate with us on joint research projects to create new knowledge.
Preference is given to the following fields of research for 2018:
- Early printing history in Singapore – relating to Malay press and colonial history
- Peranakan literary works - literature in Malay by the Straits Chinese of Singapore and Malaysia
- Critical inquiry on Singapore contemporary literature/ writers (or any art genres) post 1965
- Comparative studies between colonial and post-independence Singapore and/or Southeast Asia
- Social history of Singapore from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century through legal documents of the Koh Seow Chuan Collection
- Study of Japanese occupation through the Lim Shao Bin collection
- Business history through the use of NLS’s donor collections
- Early textbooks in twentieth century Singapore
- Asian diaspora in the Southeast Asia with special reference to Singapore, Malaysia & Indonesia
- Study of colonial governors and administrators in Singapore
- Maritime development in early Singapore
- Social history of early communities in Singapore
- Early land transaction in Singapore
- Singapore music
- In-depth study or comparative study of early Singapore newspapers
- Study of the Royal Air Force Seletar Association archives from the NAS collections
- Research on Chinese dialect group using the oral history collection
- Social history of Singapore through NLS's photographs collection (from donors and private collections from NLS and NAS)
Who Can Apply?
The LKC Research Fellowship is open to both local and foreign applicants who are able to undertake prescribed research topics that raise awareness of our collections. Successful applicants should have scholarly and research credentials or their equivalent. Applicants could be curators, historians, academics or independent researchers who should preferably have an established record of achievement in their chosen field of research and the potential to excel further.
Terms of the Award
The award of the Fellowship is for a period of six months.
A stipend of up to a maximum of S$2,000 per month will be provided to help LKC Research Fellows meet living expenses, local transportation and photocopying expenses.
In addition to the stipend, overseas Fellows will be provided with a one-time relocation package of $1,500, a one-time return airfare of up to $1500 (reimbursement basis), and monthly accommodation allowance of up to $2,500 (reimbursement basis).
Applications should be emailed to LKCRF@nlb.gov.sg or mailed to the following address by 27 April 2018.
Attn: The Administrator
Lee Kong Chian Research Fellowship
National Library Headquarters
National Library Board
100 Victoria Street,
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Notification of acceptance or rejection will be made known within 3 months of the closing date.