Researcher Recruitment at Waseda Institute for Advanced Study
Waseda Institute for Advanced Study (WIAS) was established in September 2006 to enable promising and talented researchers to focus on their research activities under fixed-term contracts in a rich research environment. Around 30 researchers have been working on advanced research in a wide range of themes and with no limitation as to field of study. WIAS is currently recruiting researchers for AY2020 as detailed below.
Fields corresponding to the Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences
Number of Positions
In principle, Assistant Professor (without tenure) or Associate Professor (without tenure)
Researchers who meet any of the following qualifications
- Persons with a doctorate. It is desirable for the doctorate to have been obtained within 10 years of April 1, 2020.
- Persons who expect to obtain a doctorate by April 1, 2020.
- Persons with scholarly attainment equivalent to persons who have obtained a doctorate (persons who have completed the full term of a doctoral course etc.) as of April 1, 2020, and who have research experience at a research institution.
Applicants are expected to be enthusiastic about conducting their research, which will contribute to facilitating research at Waseda University, as well as to establishing and strengthening collaborative network between the researchers of outside/overseas research institutions and universities and those of Waseda University.
The Institute seeks to recruit researchers who will undertake highly creative research projects that have the potential to identify issues for the future, and carve out new fields of study in the areas of the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences.
Waseda University has been selected for the “Top Global University Project (TGU)” led by MEXT-Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-, and is working on the project titled “Waseda Goes Global – A Plan to Build a Worldwide Academic Network that is Open, Dynamic and Diverse,” with the aim of accelerating efforts to realize the goals set forth in its mid- to long-term strategic plan, Waseda Vision 150. Efforts are being injected into strengthening the areas of model units, life science and data science at Waseda University, which are highly regarded internationally and form the core of this project. If your research theme covers aspects that are relevant to these areas, please select the respective model unit or discipline on the application form. The nine model units and fields of science are listed below. (Even if your research theme is not related to any of the model units or to the fields of science, you will not be disadvantaged in any way during the selection process.)
- Research activities in accordance with the Research Plan submitted at the time of employment.
- Researchers will be required to teach at least one full-year class per year (equivalent to two half-year classes), and are allowed to teach up to three full-year classes per year (equivalent to within six half-year classes) at Waseda University.“One class” means one 90-minute lecture in a week.
- Other duties include:
- Attendance at meetings of the Institute
- Planning and organizing symposiums and so on, sponsored or cosponsored by the Institute
- Publishing of research findings in the Institute bulletin or discussion paper, etc.
- Applying for a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) (Acquisition of public or business contract research grants or subsidies as well is desirable.)
- Other matters deemed necessary by the Director of the Institute
- Waseda University will be the researcher’s primary place of employment.
- Place of Work: Waseda University Campus (Waseda, Toyama, Nishiwaseda, Kikuicho, TWIns, Tokorozawa, etc.)
- Other working conditions will be in accordance with regulations of Waseda University as shown below.
* Maternity leave is available in accordance with regulations of Waseda University. It is also possible to take parental leave and nursing leave; please ask for details about the eligibility for using the leave.
Research funding will be provided in accordance with Waseda University regulations. Also, there are competitive research grants provided by Waseda University, such as Waseda University Grants for Special Research Projects (Grant-in-Aid for Research Base creation for newly-hired faculty). For instance, the success rate of Waseda University Grants for Special Research Projects (for newly-hired faculty) was 88.6% in 2018.
Period of Employment
In principle, the employment start day is April 1, 2020.
For researchers in a field of Humanities and Social Sciences, the employment period will be three years from the start date of employment and not to be reappointed (i.e. From April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2023, in principle).
Reappointment is allowed every year (up to a maximum of two years) only for researchers in the field of Natural Science, in cases where the research activities and achievements up till the third year have been highly appraised and considered to be adequate. The total period of employment at the Waseda Institute for Advanced Study, including the period of reappointment, is capped at five years.
- First selection stage (document screening)
* Applicants will be notified of selection results by e-mail in early August 2019.
- Second selection stage (document screening)
* Applicants who pass the first stage should submit their principal research achievements (three or fewer, with three copies of each) and Letters of recommendation by the middle of August. The applicants will be notified of further information.
- Third selection stage (interview)
In early October 2019 (tentative)
Applicants who pass the second stage will be notified of further information by one week before the interview date.
Travel expenses for the interview (Waseda Campus, Waseda University) are to be borne by the applicant.
- Notification of Results
December 2019 (tentative)
Application Documents and Application Procedures
Complete the Online Registration Form (the Online Form) on the website and submit the application documents specified below through the online system. When the registration is successfully completed, a confirmation message will be sent to the e-mail address provided on the Online Form. Applicants should use the specified forms to prepare the application documents. Please note that the application documents cannot be accepted by e-mail, post or any procedures other than submitting through the Online Form.
Submitted information and documents will only be used for the purpose of screening researcher candidates.
Deadline for Application
June 25, 2018 (Tuesday), 5 P.M. (Japan time)
Submission of application documents through use of the Online Registration Form must be completed by this date and time.