Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants on American Art and Visual Culture
Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants provide support for research on topics concerning American art and visual culture prior to 1980. These grants enable scholars outside the United States to consult resources and visit collections within the United States. Grant funding is available for short-term travel that gives scholars:
- An opportunity to discover new source material;
- Experience works of art first-hand in museums and private collections;
- Make contact with artists, art dealers, archivists, curators, university scholars, etc.;
- Consult local archives and library collections;
- Establish professional networks for future research.
Applications are due January 15, 2019. Awards will be announced in April 2019.
Eligibility & Application Information
The foundation only accepts proposals from doctoral students, postdoctoral scholars, and senior scholars outside the United States. For travel related to exhibition development and research, please see the Terra Foundation’s Exhibition Research and Development Grant program.
- Travel should be undertaken within one calendar year (June through May) after the announcement of the selection results in April.
- Final report must be submitted within three months of completion of travel. It should include a description of the travel undertaken as a result of the grant, an assessment of the research accomplished, and a financial report detailing grant expenditures.
- Recipients must acknowledge the support of the Terra Foundation in any publication that results from research conducted during the grant.
- Travel may not take place prior to notification of the grant award.
- This program does not require a letter of inquiry.
The proposal should include the following components:
- Applicant information
- Two letters of recommendation
- Project proposal that demonstrates the need for travel to the United States
- Curriculum vitae
- Detailed description of the proposed itinerary with destinations and travel dates
- Itemized travel budget
- A copy or scan of a government issued picture ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
Completed proposal forms and all attachments should be written in English.
Information about Funding
Up to 20 grants are awarded annually (up to five of them are specifically dedicated to scholars from Asia, Africa, and Latin America) as follows:
- Up to $6,000 per grant for doctoral students from Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand;
- Up to $7,000 per grant for doctoral students from Asia, Africa, and Latin America;
- Up to $9,000 per grant for all postdoctoral and senior scholars.
Grant funds will be disbursed in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total grant) is paid before the recipient’s departure to the United States. The second installment (up to 20% of the total grant) is paid to the recipient after receipt of the final report.
Funds can be used for related transportation, lodging, meals, and research fees and expenses of the Grantee only (not of family, travel companions, etc). They cannot be used for the purchase of computers or other equipment.