UC Berkeley Shinjo Ito Postdoctoral Fellowship in Japanese Buddhism
With the generous support of the Shinnyo-en Foundation, Center for Japanese Studies at UC Berkeley is pleased to call for applications for a postdoctoral research fellowship with the possibility of teaching. The term of the appointment is August 1, 2018, to July 31, 2020.
The Fellowship is intended to foster the academic careers of recent Ph.D.'s, providing time to pursue their research along with the opportunity to take part in regular events and workshops offered by the Centers for Japanese and Buddhist Studies. The fellow will deliver a public lecture on their research as part of the Center for Japanese Studies Colloquium Series. Subject to the availability of teaching funds, fellows may also have the opportunity to teach one course each year. The base salary provided is $50,000 per annum with health benefits but this may increase depending on experience. In addition, the fellow will be provided with shared office space and library privileges, as well as $2,500 per annum for conference travel and research.
Applicants must have Ph.D. or equivalent degree in hand by their start date. At the time of application, the basic minimum qualification is the completion of all degree requirements other than the dissertation, in Japanese Buddhism Studies or a closely related field.
Applicants should submit the following materials (PDF):
- Curriculum vitae, listing degrees, any publications, and teaching experience
- Graduate school transcripts
- A personal statement of no more than 2,000 words outlining previous research (including dissertation), the research the applicant will undertake during the term of the fellowship, future professional goals, as well as any other information deemed relevant to the application
- A writing sample
- Candidates who do not yet hold a Ph.D. but expect to by June 30, 2018, should supply a letter from their home institution confirming their schedule to completion
- Applicants should request three letters of recommendation
Application Deadline and Notification of Award
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted through AP Recruit. Hardcopy, faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted. The position is open until filled. Please direct any questions to the Center for Japanese Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only complete applications will be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all documentation is complete and that referees submit their letters of recommendation by the initial review date to ensure full consideration. Awards are anticipated to be announced in April, 2018.
There is no University-provided housing designated for postdoctoral fellows. Postdoctoral fellows who are married or partnered and/or have children may apply to University Family Student housing for the slight chance to be assigned an apartment in University Village Albany after all eligible enrolled UC Berkeley students are housed.