Visiting Fellowships in Russian and Eastern European Studies
The Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Scholars Programme provides an opportunity for highly qualified scholars in Russian and Eastern European studies to visit the Aleksanteri Institute and the University of Helsinki for a period of one to three months. These visits are supported with a monthly grant, which in the academic years 2015–2016 and 2016-2017 is 3000 €. Aleksanteri Visiting Fellows have the opportunity to conduct research and interact with other researchers at the Aleksanteri Institute and with the wider academic community at the University of Helsinki and across Finland. Each Visiting Fellow has two academic hosts who are working on a related theme and who help them to settle in and establish contacts with the research community in Finland.
While the Aleksanteri Institute is an independent institute of the University of Helsinki, it also has a national function, acting as the Finnish Centre for Russian and Eastern European Studies. Therefore, Visiting Fellows may also accept invitations for short visits to Finnish universities other than the University of Helsinki. The Aleksanteri Institute also coordinates the Finnish Centre of Excellence “Choices of Russian Modernisation”, funded by the Academy of Finland for the period 2012-2017. The CoE is run together with the University of Tampere.
Starting from the academic year 2008-2009, the Visiting Scholars Programme has hosted over 100 Visiting Fellows working on various fields and themes within the social sciences and humanities, and representing 28 countries from Europe through North America to China.
The Aleksanteri Institute (University of Helsinki) welcomes applications for its visiting fellowships for the academic year 2017-2018. The Aleksanteri Institute is a national centre for Russian and Eastern European studies and coordinator of the Finnish Centre of Excellence in Russian studies – Choices of Russian Modernisation.
- Is intended for scholars who hold a PhD degree, in a field relevant to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda and whose place of residence is outside of Finland. The PhD degree must be granted by February 10, 2017.
- Is intended for a period of one to three months between 1 August 2017 and 15 July 2018. The last possible starting date for the fellowship is 1 June 2018.
- Involves a research stay at the Aleksanteri Institute, during which Visiting Fellows are expected to be present at the Aleksanteri Institute and to participate in its academic activities.
- Provides an opportunity to conduct research and benefit from interaction with the Russian and Eastern European studies community in Finland.
- Grant-holders are expected to contribute to the advancement of Russian and Eastern European studies in general and to the research agenda of the Aleksanteri Institute in particular.
- Grant-holders will present their research at the Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellows Research Seminar series and can contribute to the Institute’s other seminars and publications.
- Carries a monthly grant of €3000 to cover all expenses related to the stay in Helsinki (e.g. accommodation, travel, insurance, visa).
- Provides Visiting Fellows with office space and IT facilities, as well as use of the Institute’s in-house library and other University of Helsinki libraries, including e-libraries and the Slavonic Library.
- Grant-holders are required to have an excellent command of English.
The selection of the Visiting Fellows will be concluded by 7 April, when the names of the Visiting Fellows will be posted on the Institute’s website. All applicants will be notified of the result.